Sunday 18 August 2019

One-shot RPG GM checklists

So this is my RPG one-shot GM checklist.

Beforehand

  • The scenario
  • Rules (and summaries)
  • Dice
  • Pens and paper
  • Cards for name tents and aspects
  • Food and drink


Introductions

  • Names
  • X Card
  • Set the scene
  • Rules check
  • Ground rules (taking breaks)
  • Tents


Building the team

  • Characters - pregens or character generation
  • Teambuilding


The scenario

  • Equal spotlight time


Wrap

  • Epilogues
  • Thank everyone
  • Tidy up


So that’s the raw checklist. Here’s a bit more detail.

Beforehand

This is to remind me what to bring. Most of it is self evident, and my dice, index cards and pens are in my All Rolled Up. Paper is usually a notebook.

My All Rolled Up
If the game has a one-page rules summary (for example, Fate Core here) then I’ll bring a couple for players to refer to refer to.

Depending on the venue, I’ll bring water to drink and some snacks to share. (I play a lot of one shots at GoPlayLeeds, which is held at the Geek Retreat gaming cafe and they’d rather I didn’t bring my own food and drink.)

Introductions

I like it when everyone knows each other around the table, but I also find that I forget to do it (which is why it’s on the checklist).

This is when I’ll introduce the X card (if I’m using one), and also set the scene and any ground rules (such as when we are taking breaks) so that everyone is on the same page.

At this point I will find out who knows the system I am running. If they’ve already played it, then great. If not, then I give them the key points (and a rules summary if I have one). If they’re completely new to roleplaying, I’ll explain that all they need to do is describe what they’re doing and I’ll figure out what dice to roll.

Building the team

This is the point where the players meet their characters - they either build them from scratch (if the system is simple) or I hand out pre-generated characters.

To me, this is one of the most important sections - it’s when I try to turn a bunch of players sitting around a table into a team. It doesn’t always work, but that’s what I’m aiming for. All the great one-shots that I can remember playing in have some form of team building in them, and I really miss it when the GM just dives straight into the adventure.

Some games (notably DungeonWorld and other PbTA games) include team building as part of character generation, but you can add it to any game.

Some ideas:

  • Ask each player to describe a scene from their last adventure - ask the player on their left what impressed them in that scene.
  • Use backstory cards and a setting grid.
  • Take an idea from DramaSystem - what does your character want from another character (respect, love, trust, etc) - and why can't they get it?

(I've experimented with adding "drama aspects" to Fate, with mixed success.)

The Scenario

This section only has one point, which is to remind me to give everyone equal spotlight time. As GM I try and monitor this, but I’m probably not the best person to say how successful I am.

Spotlight time becomes more important as player numbers increase. I don’t like playing in games with more than four players as I find it hard to remain fully engaged when I’m in a big group. As a result, I don’t like running games with more than four players.

That’s a bit of a problem at conventions where five or six players is standard, mainly due to the player-GM ratio. I’ve run both five and six player games, but I’d rather have no more than four.

Hillfolk’s scene-calling system automatically ensures that everyone gets at least some time in the spotlight. I wish there were other systems that were as easy to use.

Wrap 

Once the scenario is over it’s time to tidy up and thank everyone for playing.

But before you do that, finish the scenario with an epilogue - get the players to describe what their character is doing or thinking as the final credits roll.

Overall

As you can see, the checklist is weighted towards the start of play, because those are the points where I am most likely to forget something. If I’ve set everything up properly in advance, then that makes the game run that much smoother.

And a checklist for players?

Preparing a GM checklist does make me wonder what a player checklist would look like - but I think that’s a topic for another day.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. I might steal some of this for my fantasy worldbuilding document (it works in tandem with Dungeon World, or my one shot hack):

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/160M8iXPRF8sGIFhtZGhCX-p4AnfLFMAgIk7Qnw568VI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please steal away - and if you think I've missed anything let me know.

      I like your fantasy worldbuilding doc - although that's more improvisational than I'm used to. I like the safety blanket of something pre-prepared...

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I never heard of DramaSystem before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played in Guy Milner's D&D game today, and he finished the scenario with an epilogue (he asked everyone to describe what their characters were doing/thinking in a scene as the credits rolled). I thought it was such a good idea I've updated my checklist.

    ReplyDelete