Friday 24 August 2018

Castle Acre

Ken Hite, on the Ken and Robin Talk about Stuff podcast, suggests that when looking to develop something for your game background, that you start with Earth. I agree - I’ve done this a few times by setting scenes in somewhere I know, and it makes the scene much easier to GM.

My advice, if you want to do this, is to try and visit the place you’re going to use. I don’t create many overall backgrounds, but I do use locations in my games, and it always helps to have a good picture in mind.

Castle Acre map taken from interpretation board


Castle Acre Castle

I’ve not used Castle Acre yet, but the next time I need a fortified village/local stronghold in a fantasy/medieval game, I will base it on Castle Acre in Norfolk.

The castle (more of a fortified manor, but still) was built by William de Warenne, who was granted lands following the Norman conquest in 1066. By 1200 he had constructed a grand castle with significant earthworks.



Castle Acre Priory

Once the castle was established, William sought security in the afterlife and founded a monastery alongside his castle. This became one of over 30 Cluniac priories in England, and was probably chosen thanks to his wife’s family connections.

The priory was home to 30 or so monks and continued until 1537 during Henry VIII’s Suppression of the Monasteries.



Fortified Village

Between the castle and the priory, the village itself was protected by walls and earthworks. (A magnificent bailey gate remains in the village that you can still drive through today.)

Links



No comments:

Post a Comment