Saturday 23 February 2019

Contingency Envelopes Again

After reflecting on contingency envelopes last year in my experience in Shogun last year, I decided to be a high-trust player in Torch of Freedom and open my contingency envelopes early.

Because I was a bit rushed to start with (thanks to a busy day at work I didn’t check into the hotel until 10 minutes before everything was going to start), I decided not to open my contingency envelopes immediately, but wait until the end of the first period.

I had three envelopes, two looking for player numbers and the third for an item. I spotted one of the players at about midnight on the Friday after spending much of the evening staring at badges numbers.

When I opened the other I breathed a sigh of relief as I knew what it referred to (because I’d played before) and knew that meant I didn’t have to worry about reading name badges.

As for the third contingency, I never did see the item, but what it revealed wasn’t a surprise.

In all cases I would say that they could just have been added to my character sheet in a “What you don’t know yet” section along the lines of: “If you see Blind Pugh then you recognise him as Ambassador Flint.”

So for my contingency envelopes, there was nothing that could be included on my character sheet.

However, I’m hoping that I don’t have to be a high-trust player for much longer. If writers can think a bit more about their contingency envelopes, then I wouldn’t want to open them in advance. The trick will be working out when that happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment