Monday 5 December 2022

Christmas Ghost Stories

It’s that time of year again. Christmas is approaching, the evenings are drawing in, and I’m listening to ghost stories.

My latest M James audiobook

In particular, MR James’ ghost stories.

I know I should listen to them after dark, but I usually listen to them when walking our dog.

A new collection of stories

I wrote a few years ago about my ghostly tradition and listening to MR James, and I now have a new collection. To add to my David Suchet and Derek Jacobi performances and the dramatisations in The Conception of Terror, I can now add M.R. James: The Complete Ghost Stories Collection, narrated by Jonathan Keeble.

I haven’t listened to it all yet (it’s only early December), but already I’m enjoying new stories.

I was slightly worried that I wouldn’t like Keeble’s narration, but I think he does an excellent job.

Favourites

I don’t find them scary – instead, I find them dark and subtle. I like the slow build-up, the architectural details, and the sense of unease. But they’re not scary.

(The dramatisations can be creepy and have the occasional jump scare.)

So my favourites are A Warning to the Curious, A View from a Hill, and Casting the Runes. I would have added The Ash Tree in the past, but I think I’ve grown out of it.

I hope the new collection will bring new favourites.

Reading or listening?

I also own a book of MR James’ ghost stories. I’m sure I’ve read them all, but I don’t find them easy to read. I’m sympathetic with those who say they struggle to read MR James – I find them so much better when performed.


No comments:

Post a Comment