Thursday 17 August 2023

RPGaDay 2023 #13 to 17

#14 Favourite convention purchase

My most used convention purchase is my trusty dice bag and dice tray from the fine folk at All Rolled Up. I found that my pens fell out when I turned it upside down, so Miss H added a flap to keep them secure during transport.


My favourite convention purchase, however, might be my most recent: The Floor is Lava and Bored? Games! by Ivan Brett, both purchased at Airecon earlier this year. (I reviewed them here.)

#15 Favourite con one-shot

I run quite a few convention games, but based on my last convention (Continuum in Leicester), it's Hillfolk - specifically, the one-shot playbooks created by Jon Cole. It was a superb session, but I've only done it once, and I'm looking forward to seeing how repeatable it is.

For me, the key to a good convention game is getting the characters right. If you get the characters right (with links between the PCs and, ideally, a little conflict), the scenario runs itself. Much of that can be created at the table, with a shortened session zero.

As a player, my favourite game was a Fate Accelerated game run by Neil Gow at Furnace. The setting was Werewolf: the Apocalypse and we were the last werewolves facing the apocalypse. (Although I was an elf. Anyway.) Alone, we faced the baddies and prevented the apocalypse. It was epic and huge – and it felt like we were playing in a movie. Brilliant.

From a freeform perspective, they're all one-shot games. I don't have a favourite, though.

#16 Game you wish you owned

There's nothing from the past I think I want. (One thing I like about playing RPGs is that it can be a cheap hobby if you want it to be. Some rules, dice, pens and paper, some friends - that's it.)

There are a couple of boardgames that are coming out that I've got my eye on, but I've not made any decisions yet.

#17 Funniest game you've played

Fiasco is often the game I laugh most in, just because it's so wrong. The game itself isn't funny, but the situations players end up in...

No comments:

Post a Comment