Thursday 3 August 2023

RPGaDay 2023 #1-3

I can’t post every day, so for RPGaDay, I’ll post now and again, catching up with old posts. Like today, when I’m doing three posts.

#1 First RPG played this year

My first game of 2023 was the first of three sessions of Kingdom by Ben Robbins. Kingdom is a collaborative story game where you chart the rise and fall of a kingdom. Or, in our case, The Egregious Society of the Silver Fork. I wrote more about it back in January.

My first freeform of the year was Incense and Insensibility, which I played at Retcon B and wrote about here.

And according to Boardgamegeek, my first board game of 2023 was London (second edition). Probably against Mrs H, and almost certainly resulting in my defeat because she is so much better at it than I am.

#2 First RPG gamesmastered

Of all time? Traveller back in 1981.

This year? Kingdom (well, I facilitated). If facilitating doesn’t count, then Count Magnus’ Descendent, a Cthulhu Dark investigation in February.

As for a freeform larp, that was Death on the Gambia, I think. I wrote Death on the Gambia some years before starting Freeform Games.

#3 First RPG bought this year

I buy very few RPGs. I know how I like to play (and run), and I’m not a big fan of learning new mechanics and settings.

For a few minutes, I couldn’t think of any RPG material I’d bought – then I remembered that I backed Codex of Worlds (on Backerkit) for Monster of the Week. So, a supplement rather than a full game. There’s a stone age setting that looks interesting, but I haven’t run it yet.

As for board games, I’ve bought My City (a tile-laying legacy game) and backed an expansion to D-Day Dice (cooperative dice rolling set in Normandy 1944), which is due to land before the end of the year. I’ve also pre-ordered Daybreak, the new global-warming cooperative game from Matt Leacock; I’m not expecting that until October.

No comments:

Post a Comment