Monday 19 February 2024

All Flesh is Grass - on Itch.io

All Flesh is Grass is now available to download for free on Itch.io.

All Flesh is Grass? What’s that?

All Flesh is Grass is a short freeform-larp for 13 players set in 1965 Wisconsin. It takes around two hours to play. 

It is August 1965. Yesterday, the residents of Millville in Grant County, Wisconsin (pop. 164) woke to discover a mysterious barrier around their village. Through trial and error, they found that the barrier lets no life pass through it – only inanimate objects.

Yesterday evening, a short story about the barrier appeared on page 3 of the Fennimore Herald.

Today, at lunchtime, Senator Wilson and representatives of the federal government meet with the mayor of Millville in a large tent erected across the barrier on the road to Bridgeport.

The barrier itself is invisible but stretchy. Trying to walk through it is like trying to walk while being pulled back by elastic bands. Eventually, the force is too great and throws you back.

That sounds vaguely familiar


All Flesh is Grass
is based on the 1965 science fiction first-contact novel of the same name by Clifford D Simak. There are a few differences, but if you’ve read the novel, you’ll know what’s going on.

That doesn’t mean you know what to do about it, of course…

Didn’t you write another alien larp recently?

Yes, I’m writing a series of first-contact freeform larps, all in the same universe and featuring some of the same characters.

The first was The Roswell Incident, and that has been published by Freeform Games.

Coming up after All Flesh is Grass is Children of the Stars (set in 1983), Messages from Callisto (1993) and The Stars our Destination (1999) – and more planned, but at this point are little more than twinkles in my eye.

Sounds great! Who do the players play?

The players play either villagers or members of the government who are here to help.

Millville folk

  • Morris: Retired carpet sales rep and Millville’s head council member
  • Constable Martin: A police constable
  • Carter: A real-estate/insurance business owner
  • Sherwood: A gadget manufacturer
  • Preston: Local reporter and council member
  • Flanagan: Retired school principal and council member

Out-of-towners

  • Senator Wilson: Senator for Wisconsin
  • General Billings: US Army general.
  • Shaw: Aide to the senator
  • Dr Blake: Government scientist
  • Captain Yip: USAF officer
  • Agent Franz: FBI agent
  • Jamie Flanagan: Chicago doctor

One player gets to play two characters – Jamie Flanagan and Captain Yip.

Huh? Why make give two characters to one player?

This occurred during the writing process and was an accident. 

When I started the project, I was talking about my ideas with a friend who suggested I should write the games for the same number of players. I thought this was a good idea, and as The Roswell Incident was for 13 players, so was All Flesh is Grass (and all the games since).

As I started writing, my original plan was that all the characters would be played by one player, and The Voice (the mysterious character not in the list above) would be an NPC or played by me. But as I wrote, I realised it would be better if The Voice were played by a player.

Ahah – that means you have 14 characters and 13 players!

Exactly.

I looked at merging characters, but I realised that two characters could easily be played by one person. I’ve played two characters in the same freeform before, and it has been a lot of fun. (It’s also a design space I think we can do more with.)

So I decided to keep all 14 characters and have one player take two.

I’ve run the game twice so far, and in each run, the players adapted to the situation without batting an eyelid. Feedback suggested that my approach worked well – and so I didn’t feel the need to change anything.

How did you decide who gets to play the split character?

I made it clear in the signup and casting forms that one player would play two characters (and which ones they would play), helping the players decide whether they wanted to play two characters or not. More on that here.

Sounds great! Where can I get it?

You can get All Flesh is Grass over on Itch.io.


No comments:

Post a Comment