Monday 1 July 2024

Current projects

So we’re about halfway through 2024, and it’s time for a progress update. I last did one of these back in October, and I find it useful to look back and see what I’ve achieved.

What have I done?

Since October I have:

  • Published Hazelwood Abbey (a Hillfolk playset inspired by Downton Abbey) on Itch.io. I ran it successfully at AireCon.
  • Created an epub version of Writing Freeform Larps and added it to Itch.io and DriveThru
  • Published All Flesh is Grass (a freeform larp) on itch.io.
  • Written and run The Stars our Destination (a 14-player freeform larp set in the same universe as All Flesh is Grass).
  • Published A Purrfect Murder (a cat-themed murder mystery game) at Freeform Games.
  • Helped build Freeform Games’ new shop.

Ongoing projects

Right now, this is what I’m working on.

  • I’ve formatted and developed (with the author) Backstage Business, a 1980s hair-metal band murder mystery game for Freeform Games. It’s currently being playtested (I'm running it at Continuum) and should be published over the summer.
  • I’m building a new website for Freeform Games. We’ve been going since 2001, and our website is a mix of hand-coded pages and two instances of Wordpress. So we’re streamlining everything. It’s a lot of work, but should give us several benefits. With a fair wind it will be live by the end of July.
  • I’m taking the feedback from The Stars our Destination and getting the game ready for Consequences in November.
  • As I’ve mentioned recently on the blog, I’m running The Dead Undead for Other London: Desk 17. I’ll publish it when we’re done and I’ve incorporated any changes.

The first two of these have demanded a lot of attention and have been particularly draining.

Currently on hold

  • I started reformatting Court in the Act for Freeform Games, but put it on hold when Backstage Business landed in my inbox. Court in the Act is an old game and is still in our original game format.
  • The Department for Irregular Services for Liminal is on hold. This will expand on this blog post with more detail, three investigations and some pregens. The first two investigations (The Hairy Hands and Hardknott Roman Fort Ghost Realm) are complete, but the third (The Wherwell Cockatrice) is still in pieces. I need to reassemble the pieces and playtest it.
  • Inspired partly by Backstage Business, Success2Soon is a band-themed Hillfolk playset that I need to playtest. I may bring it to Furnace.
  • Getting Children of the Stars ready for publication and starting to write episode 6 in the series, which follows The Stars our Destination.

Hopefully I’ll get back to these in September.

I think that’s enough to be going on with.


No comments:

Post a Comment